Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Craft night

Last night, I got together with my sisters to start our weekly craft night series. One day of the week, we will get together, and do different sort of crafts - whatever floats our boat.

This first night, we taught ourselves to thread the sewing machine and do a straight stitch. Then I showed Z how to increase and decrease stitches, and helped M cast on. It was awesome. I must add, we spent hours at the fabrics store, deciding on different fabrics for our first project, but ended up buying some cheap remnants at the last minute - we didn't want waste pretty fabric with our (yet) unskilled hands.
I must make a note that while my sisters and I spent our time acquiring new skills, my super-mom took my car keys and deep-cleaned my car. She is a champion of cleanliness and order. I don't think my car has been this clean since I bought it. Thanks, mom! I'll try to maintain it.

When I got home, I decided I will turn my husband's unused study desk in the guest room into a craft corner. Can't wait to get it all organized. That's my Crofton sewing machine (it's a mystery manufacturer - I believe an Aldi private brand), which I received as a gift. It works pretty well so far. It's been tested by various seamstresses in my family, and they all gave it thumbs up..
I had a $10 gift certificate to Borders, so I got this book by Lotta Jansdotter. It has simple, cute, IKEA-like sewing projects for home. We are starting our sewing "class" with placemats (with pockets).
And then I also found this gem: a zine dedicated to various crafts - knitting, sewing, crocheting, building stuff out of things lying around the house, etc. It's absolutely fascinating. And the projects are pretty nifty, too.
I'll definitely be devouring this one. Maybe we can use one of the projects for our next craft night.

No comments: