Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Potluck and dishcloths

Gals from my book club at work planned a potluck on Monday. My goal was to make something simple and holiday-ish, so I gathered a couple of recipes: smoked salmon bites from a Rachel Ray book and cranberry raisin orange loaf from the internet.
The salmon bites consisted of pumpernickel bread onto which I spread cream cheese which I mixed with fresh chopped chives. These are then topped with smoked salmon, fresh dill and capers. While it looked and sounded good, it was a bit dry for my taste.
The loaf consisted of fresh cranberries, golden raisins, walnuts, orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice. To get it to cool, I removed the loaf from the pan and put it on some paper towels on the counter.

Unfortunately, our naughty dog was able to pull on one of the corners of the paper towel and get to it. When I returned to kitchen there was nothing left except some paper towels and crumbs on the floor. Of course, there was some scolding and tears involved. And dog did not get dinner that night (not that he would have cared). I was mostly concerned about what it would do to Wally - not sure dogs are supposed to eat raisins, walnuts and cranberries. Luckily, he survived. What a rascal!
I also finished some easy knits - traditional, 100% cotton dish cloths. These will be a gift for someone.
 Sometimes you just have to do some mindless knitting. And it was fun to use up some of my stash yarn. My goal for 2012 is to significantly reduce my yarn inventory. I have tons of it. There are also lots of knitting projects that need to be completed. Hopefully I can make a dent in my work in the upcoming year. However, I know it's going to be hard to resist new yarns and projects. What an all-consuming hobby!

1 comment:

Azra Beganovic said...

Hahahaha! Oh Wally. If you have extra yarn, you could always give some to me....eh?