Sunday, December 6, 2009

Love is... making Burek

Love is when your vegetarian wife learns how to make a traditional Bosnian dish (Burek) that is simply a meat pastry.
My super-mom taught me how to make this delicacy for my hubby last Tuesday. The meat is ground beef mixed with onions and garlic and spices, and then strewn upon layer after layer of thin pastry leaves (which my mom typically makes from scratch - a daunting task for me). There are also brush strokes of butter involved to keep the leaves from sticking to each other.
I couldn't tell you what it tastes like because I don't eat meat, but seeing the satisfaction on my hubby's face when he is stuffing his mouth with it tells me it's really, really good.

Also, I want to thank my amazing mom for all her wisdom and skill. I don't think I will ever be half as good as her when it comes to a lot of things.

No comments: