Sunday, July 12, 2009

Book Recommendation: City of Thieves by David Benioff

I read a lot, so I normally wouldn't blog here about books (that could be a separate blog of its own). But I just had to mention that I just finished reading "City of Thieves" by David Benioff, and I am blown away. Such a good book!


I would like to summarize some of it for you, but I wouldn't do it justice. But the setting is WWII siege of Leningrad and the two main characters are a young looter and a Red Army deserter who are spared from execution and sent out on a quest to find a dozen eggs for the colonel's daughter's wedding cake. The book, as most critics would like to point out, a blend of comedy and tragedy. This is confirmed by my best friend who told me she interchangeably laughed and cried throughout the entire book. I would agree. The ending is relatively satisfying.

It's the book selection for our "Balkan Femmes" book club that I started with my sisters and my best friend. Can't wait for us to discuss.

No comments: