Monday, June 8, 2009

Meeting an author: David Ebershoff

I am the leader this month for one of my book clubs (I belong to several), so I chose for us to read "The 19th Wife" by David Ebershoff (a very smart and talented writer). It just so coincided that he was speaking at the Central library this week, so some of the girls and I decided to meet for dinner at Centro and then go see him speak.David was amazing! He talked about his book and was incredibly engaging. Afterwards, I decided I'd have him sign two of his books I own. Since I am horribly socially awkward, I was a bit afraid of going up to him. But he was so nice and gracious to everybody in the line, I courageously waited for my turn.
The first question he asked me is whether I was a writer (apparently, I look like one). I told him I wasn't. Then he commented on my name and asked where it was from. I told him it was Bosnian, so he recommended a couple of immigrant authors that I might enjoy. He also told me I should become a writer. (It's decided... I am dropping everything and becoming one).
We talked some more about stuff - he seriously spent 5-10 minutes with me. But I was so intimidated and star-struck, I really don't remember much of our exchange.
What really impressed me was not only his writing, but how frikkin nice this guy was. I've never met anyone who had me at "hello" like this. I would have bought poison from this guy. It really says much about genuine kindness.
D, who was taking pictures, told him that I choose his book for our book club, so he turns to me and thanks me in a way you'd think I saved his puppy from drowning.
He even posed with me for a photo. And I know I look TERRIBLE (the worst ever) in that picture, but I always look terrible so I don't care. I looked down but looked up quickly for a second when D made the shot. Hence I look like a disturbed, demented freak.
So yeah, I'd definitely recommend reading his book "The 19th Wife". It's just brilliant. I also can't wait to get started on "The Danish Girl". A movie based on that book is in production right now, featuring some major A-listers.
Here is what the books look like.
Here is one of his notes to me. I'll give you money if you can decipher that first part of his inscription. I believe it says "With tons of good wishes for your writing. One day I will read your name". I really don't know why he pegged me as a writer. I barely speak English.
And here is the second book's signing. "With many good wishes on a fine night in Des Moines". He even dated it.

Some girls go crazy for actors and musicians, I go nuts for historical fiction writers. :)

No comments: